Snag a sexy couples costume from Shopfortune.com.au and get yourself a discount!
Add 2 Costumes to cart and add Code: COUPLES15 for 15% off your couples costume!
Dressing up for Halloween is just better when you do it with someone else! Be the coolest, sexiest, most photogenic pair for Halloween or Fancy Dress Party when you shop Couple Costumes at Shop Fortune! You will have Instagram likes to prove it!
Need Couple Costume Ideas? We have a whole category of Couples costumes if you decide to go the couple's costume route for Halloween or next fancy dress party! Shop Fortune for your punny, trendy, classic and cute Couples Costumes and be a hit at Fancy Dress parties!
We all know Halloween is notorious for bringing out the sexy in all of us, so why not let your significant other join in on the action! From Disney Couple Costumes, Scary Couples Costumes and Couple Movie Costumes (and More!) we have the best couples costumes to ensure you will make fun memories with your partner, and create some pure Instagram gold!
We have the best costumes for couples and groups of friends to dress up in. Whether you’re going as Fred & Wilma, Princess Jasmine & Aladdin, Cops and robbers or any other famous couple – we have it all! You can even take out the Halloween King and Queen Competition as a matching pair. Costumes for best friends couples are the coolest way to get in to character at your fancy dress party.
Get yourself a sexy couple's costume today from our Australian Based Online Costume Store! And don’t forget about our BFF Costume ideas if you want something more casual with your friend(s). Or maybe go crazy this year with one of our Group Costumes ideas! Get your friends together and make like Kylie Jenner with a BFF girl group costume - From Disney Princesses, to Playboy Bunnies!
Whatever you choose, make sure everyone knows who is running things on Halloween night by dressing up as royalty this year. It will be an unforgettable experience that people won't soon forget!
The Evolution of The Halloween Costume: From Ghosts and Witches to Funny Duo Costumes
Samhain is a Pagan holiday that people have celebrated for millennia. From this festival stems the Halloween traditions we know and love today. It’s believed that on Samhain, the veil between our world and that of the gods was thin, resulting in mischief and supernatural events. Some would offer food and treats to keep the gods at bay, while others would dress in disguise to blend in with the gods. Over the years, Halloween became less superstitious and more entertaining. Costumes, as we know them today, began in the very late 19th century. People stopped wearing disguises to hide from the gods and instead wore masks and paid homage to bizarre characters. Over the last 100 years, these costumes have evolved from creepy, homemade nightmare fuel into premium quality outfits and funny duo costumes resembling characters from pop culture. Within Australia, Halloween has only become popularised in the last few decades. However, the history of costumes in Western culture impacts the costumes we see here today, so it’s interesting to review where trends such as matching couples costumes began. So, let’s take a look through the last 100 years of costumes.
- 1910: People wore their everyday clothing with a paper-mache mask. Popular costumes included dressing as clowns, fairies, and witches. Halloween was still a somewhat superstitious time, so the costumes were appropriately terrifying.
- 1920: This is around the time Halloween became associated with mischief and pranks rather than pagan superstitions. Women would often wear a pointed witches hat with drop-shift dresses, and men didn’t wear costumes.
- 1930: After the release of Snow White in the ’30s, Disney released the rights to some of their characters. Costumes of Mickey and Minnie Mouse and Snow White were mass-produced for the first time. Once again, men didn’t wear costumes for Halloween in the 30s, but Mickey and Minnie Mouse costumes may have started funny duo costumes as we know them.
- 1940: Fishnet stockings, high heels, and heavy makeup were all trendy, creating a look that inspired some of the 1950s pin-up styles. The end of WW2 made mass-produced costumes far more affordable for working-class families, so there was a rise in Snow Whites, Tinkerbells, and Mickey Mouses.
- 1950: As televisions became household items, people began replicating their favourite TV characters for Halloween. A crowd favourite for the 50s were cowboy and cowgirl costumes inspired by popular Westerns at the time, which made for some charming husband and wife costumes.
- 1960: The most popular costume of the 60s was Catwoman. This costume was the introduction of tight leather and lycra jumpsuits and the beginnings of a sexier Halloween look. Other sexy looks included Morticia from The Addams Family and Barbie.
- 1970: 70s Halloween costumes took influence from pop culture of the time. Superheroes were all the rage, with Wonderwoman, Batman, Superman, and The Flash being incredibly popular choices. These hero costumes made the 70s the decade where his and hers costumes began making a splash. The 70s also saw a lot of TV characters like Astro Boy and movie characters like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker making an appearance.
- 1980: The 1980s saw the introduction of Elvira, the Queen of Halloween. The big hair, sleek black dress, and playful leg slit continue to be popular to this day. It was also the time when slasher films were all the rage, so there were plenty of Freddy Kruger and Leatherface costumes to be seen at parties.
- 1990: While mass-production of costumes was and is still hugely popular, the 90s saw people once again creating DIY costumes. This decade saw sexy school girl costumes popularised by Britney Spears and Cher from Clueless being the costume of choice.
2000: The first decade of the 21st century saw more people dressing as celebrities than film characters. Suddenly people were dressing like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Jessica Simpson rather than spooky characters of the past. Couples were creating funny duo costumes of celebrity couples of the time, like Brittany and Justin’s iconic double denim look.
2010: A considerable portion of costumes in the 2010s were once again superheroes and villains. The Joker and Harley Quinn were two of the biggest costume trends of the decade. Not surprisingly, We often saw The Joker and Harley Quinn as his and hers costumes. Outside of pop culture, political costumes were prominent in the 2010s, with people dressing as Clinton, Obama, Trump, Putin, Kim Jong Un, and other world leaders.
What’s Our Prediction For The 2020s?
Halloween in Australia is showing no signs of slowing down. However, it has a long way to go before being anywhere near as popular as it is in America. We predict that costumes in Australia will continue to get more sophisticated and ironic. We expect to see more influences from the internet, with TikTok playing heavily into choices for the next few years. We predict that popular TV shows from Netflix, Stan, and Amazon Prime will continue to influence costume trends. We also don’t see the political influence slowing down, and we expect to continue seeing politically-inspired costumes. Funny duo Halloween costumes will likely be on the rise in Australia as people muster up the courage to wear their elaborate costumes out and about. The team at Shop Fortune are excited to see where the trends of the 20s will take us as we continue to provide couples’ fancy dress costumes in Australia. Along with new influences to costume trends, we know that a few of the old classic favourites will remain consistent year after year. Therefore, we’ll always cater to those looking to recreate iconic costumes of the past. If you’re looking to buy a high-quality classic costume, check out the range at Shop Fortune.
Why Choose Shop Fortune For Funny Duo Costumes?
When you choose a matching couples costume to wear with your other half, you naturally want high-quality his and hers costumes that keep all eyes on the two of you. At Shop Fortune, we’re dedicated to helping you create a costume that will turn heads and allow you and your partner to be different people for the night. Our husband and wife costumes complement each other perfectly, ensuring you and your partner look incredible. With our vast range of costumes, you’re sure to find something perfect for yourself and your other half. If you’d like to browse our premium quality adult costumes, head to our website.